Bioz Stars rating is our effort to evaluate the quality and popularity of lab products (reagents and equipment) and the popularity of assays.
Bioz Stars rating is based on deep analysis of all peer-reviewed public domain articles.
We generate the Bioz Stars rating using a proprietary multi-parameter model that factors in data that is extracted from scientific articles together with relevant validation parameters. The primary parameters are:
- Product Mentions Index (product popularity relative to corpus)
- Article Recency (date of the article from where entity was extracted)
- Journal Impact Factor (as published annually by Thomson Reuters)
- Article Citation Strength (citation count related to extracted entity mentions)
- Efficacy Factor (entity popularity within category relative to corpus average)
- Tendency Factor (entity popularity relative to category average)
- Timeline Slope Factor (product usage timeline trend anomaly adjustment)
- Product Recency (product age relative to corpus)
- Search Result Frequency The number of times this product appeared in Bioz search results
- Product Name Preference The number of times Bioz users visited this product's details page
- Quick-View Interest The number of times Bioz users quick-viewed this product
- Vendor Button Clicks The number of times Bioz users clicked on this product's vendor button
- Normalization Normalization of this product's rating relative to its product category
- Standardization Standardization of this product's rating relative to its product category
- Manufacturer Factor (original manufacturer weighting adjustment)
How Bioz Stars helps you select the best reagents, lab equipment and assays?
- There is no bias - Bioz Stars are calculated using a sophisticated multi-parameter mathematical model, with all products and assays being evaluated based on the same set of criteria.
- The Bioz Stars rating cannot be bought - At Bioz, all reagents and lab equipment are treated equally. We don’t play favorites, and life-sciences companies can’t pay us to improve their product ratings.
- Our rating was developed by researchers and mathematicians - The algorithm we use to calculate the Bioz Stars rating was developed out of a deep understand of the work life-sciences researchers perform. Hundreds of researchers, including Nobel Laureates, experienced mathematicians and data scientists have validated the accuracy of the Bioz Rating.
- It’s as simple as counting to five - Ratings are given on a scale of 1 (Caution) to 5 (Outstanding) to help you quickly assess a product’s quality or an assay’s popularity.
Does Bioz publish the details of how exactly the rating is calculated?
The information that we take into account is all publicly available. However, we don’t share the inner-workings of the Bioz Rating so that we can maintain the neutrality and integrity of the rating. Moreover, we do not disclose the weight we give to each piece of information, so that it isn’t possible to boost ratings through unfair advantage. The Bioz Rating is never artificially altered or boosted; in particular, it cannot be influenced, altered or boosted as a result of payment of fees, sponsorship, advertising, or other forms of payment. Objectivity and elimination of bias is our goal.
What do the Star Stars rating Mean?
- 4.50 - 5.00 Very Good
- 4.00 - 4.49 Good
- 3.00 - 3.99 Above Average
- 2.00 - 2.99 Average
- 1.00 - 1.99 Below Average
- 0.00 - 0.99 Concern
Do Lab Product Vendors have to Pay for their Products to Receive a Bioz Stars rating?
Absolutely not! Bioz generates a star rating for every product that we are able to identify within scientific articles. If you see information on a reagent or assay that you know to be incorrect, please contact us and we will investigate the issue.
The Bioz Rating is based on our deep analysis of hundreds of millions of pages of life-sciences papers, which makes it a strong indicator of product and assay quality and popularity. Nevertheless, the Bioz Rating is only one piece of information that you can use to evaluate whether a particular lab product is right for you. The rating is a tool that provides a snapshot assessment and should be considered alongside other information such as Bioz’s unique insights (located within the article excerpts) and the charts and graphs within the data analytics section.
This product is manufactured by this Bioz vendor partner. Manufacturers often provide preferential pricing and support for their manufactured products.